I was always looking outside myself for strength and confidence but it comes from within. It’s there all the time
What is Coaching?
Coaching is an opportunity for improving your personal effectiveness supporting you to take yourself to the next level or stage in your ambitions. The best way to think about it is like sports coaching. An athelete like Mo Farrah doesn’t have a coach because he is weak, he has a coach because he wants to be the best athelete he can be. Professional coaching is similar where it can help you with the quality of your thinking, reflecting your real self so you can make decisions and smart choices which meet your own perosnal development needs, values and drivers. It’s a process which helps set or work towards your goals and aspirations. The primary aim of Coaching is to help you move forward.
Benefits of Coaching
Coaching clients often report quick positive results as an outcome of their programme. Coaching engages you in an active way which will accelerate your learning, adopting new habits easily, than if you were to think through or plan your goals independantly.
Clients report benefits such as:
- Deeper sense of self-awareness, enabling them to make decisions for themselves and with purpose
- Improved confidence, supporting the development of better relationships where it matters most
- Improved resilience, and ability to handle challenges in a way that supports their personal success
- Improved sense of destination, knowing where they want to go and what they want to do, making smart choices for themselves
- Improved wellbeing, both physically and menatlly
What happens in a coaching session?
Firstly, when you get in touch there is an initial discovery chat, free of charge, to discuss the area you want to develop and to give you a chance to see if the chemistry is right to take forward your coaching plan.
Coaching conversations can be in-person, virtually (by video or telephone) or outdoors for a walk & coach session. Simply decide on which suits your learning preference at the discovery session.
Coaching sessions range in time, depending on the topic for discussion. They can be one off, as short as 20 mins (for quick ‘Coach-Corner’ style chat), 45mins or up to 1.5 hours in length and can vary depending on the subject area being explored. Coaching programmes are usually 3, 4 or six session programmes.
Coach Mandy may use a variety of models, metaphors and exercises to support you to get the most from coaching. There are many coaching approaches, from solutions-focussed (positive psychology techniques), behavioural (developing desired behaviours), goal setting and transformational coaching (personal identity, purpose, values). Some models and techniques will require you to write things down in your session, draw images or use imagery. All ultimately have a similar aim, to help you to dig deep into your thinking and support you to gain clarity on the issue and move forward.
What can I have Coaching on?
Coach Mandy supports many people who are in transition of some sort. Transition to a new school or class, transition into university or apprentice scheme, transition into work for the first time or returning to work after a period of absence.
Some topics clients bring include:
- preparing for an interview or applying for a new job
- feeling stuck in your current job and not sure what to do next
- having the same goal for a long time and not gaining traction
- exploring career options that suit your passions and core strengths
- areas which are demanding attention and energy and need moving forward such as:
- an idea you have not had time to develop
- the best way forward in a challenging situation
- a colleague with whom you would like to work more effectively with
- a meeting or presentation that is coming up and needs planning
- a study/work related issue that is demanding much of your energy
Workshops and Masterclasses
Coach Mandy can offer workshops and lunch time talks to support individuals, teams and occupational health servies or pastoral care services to strengthen their performance for sustainable improvement in wellbeing and resilience.
Coach Mandy understands that many teams and peers groups will be at different stages of their self development and will partner with you to review the best fit of a workshop or masterclass key learning and development needs.
Topics stated below are suggested off the shelf programmes designed to be flexible to complement existing learning and development programmes and easily incorporated to support the development of new programmes:
- Coaching for Resilience – what to do when it’s not mental ill-health
- Personal Branding – focus on strengths, purpose and values, the WHY question
- Who do you think you are? Defining the vision and purpose of a team or service
- Personality Matters – Understanding personality preferences to improve effective relationships
- Coaching for Success – basic coaching skills for managers, teachers and youth workers
- Successful Conversations – how to handle health related or difficult conversations
- Wellbeing subjects such as Stress Management, Sleep and Fatigue, Mental Wellbeing
- How to Eat an Elephant programme – accelerating your goal attainment and executing the masterplan
- The Parent/Guardian as the Managing Director of their Family